Juventus lose consecutively to Maccabi Haifa, Manchester City and Copenhagen

After a relatively quiet start to the week, the Champions League resumed its rights this Tuesday at 6.45pm with two games on the schedule. Juventus and Manchester City respectively went to the lawn of Maccabi Haifa and FC Copenhagen in the preamble of this 4th day of the cup with big ears. The Turinese, for their part, absolutely had to get a result in Israel to stay alive in Group F, while Paris Saint-Germain receives Benfica Lisbon at 21. However, the Old Lady had one of her first worst bouts in the competition. Shortly after kick-off, the Israeli club opened the scoring with Omer Atzili on a cross from Pierre Cornud and despite the intervention of Wojciech Szczesny (7th, 1-0). Meanwhile, Tjaronn Chery took charge of a free kick near the Torino area. His shot then crashed into the crossbar of the Polish goalkeeper of the Old Lady (12th).

What’s after this announcement

The ailing Old Lady retires and can say goodbye to the knockout stage

For inspiration in its offensive animation, Juventus even lost Angel Di Maria who was injured in a harmless match (22nd). Probable muscle injury, the Argentine was replaced a few minutes later by Arkadiusz Milik (24th). At this point in the game, Maccabi Haifa had already scored five times on the net against just one small attempt by the Turin players. At the hour the VAR went into action but in the end did not assign a penalty to the Israelis (31st). Shortly after Atzili was in good position but his shot escaped the frame (35th), then Frantzdy Pierrot brought the danger into the opponent’s area but was eventually flagged offside (40th). However, in continuity, the number 9 found the number 7 that launched a missile into the skylight of a helpless Szczesny (42nd, 2-0). Just before the break, Juventus secured their first hot situation thanks to Dusan Vlahovic. At the far post, the Serbian striker made a powerful header as he backed away, but Josh Cohen relaxed for a long time and saved. Behind, Sean Goldberg then prevented Arkadiusz Milik from hitting in good condition (45th).

Upon returning from the locker room, despite several changes by Massimiliano Allegri, Juventus failed to reverse the trend. Juventini pushes but struggles to become really dangerous on the opposing side of the field. Shortly after the hour, Juan Cuadrado collapsed in the Maccabi Haifa penalty area, in contact with Pierre Cornud, but the referee did not flinch (67 minutes). The VAR was then consulted but validated the decision made by the referee (68th). The end of the match saw the Turinese push but not endanger the opposing defense, as during most of this match. With this victory the Israelis reach Juventus thanks to the first three points in this edition of the Champions League. The battle will be tough for the Europa League, which will not be able to continue its course in the most prestigious European competitions.

Manchester City, 10 over an hour, hooked from Copenhagen

In the other match this early evening, Manchester City faced stiff resistance from FC Copenhagen players. Pep Guardiola’s team also experienced all the emotions of the first act. After a short period of observation, the match unlocks and Rodrigo lights the first fuse with a splendid shot from outside the area (11th). A few minutes later, his goal was finally canceled due to a Riyad Mahrez handball early in the action (13th). The Algerian international also left his mark in this eventful early period, but not for the right reasons. Just before the half hour the Cityzens get a penalty (23rd), but the Skyblues winger sees his attempt stopped by Kamil Grabara (25th). In continuity, Mohammed Daramy got rid of Manuel Akanji, then deep served Hakon Arnar Haraldsson. The latter was then unbalanced by Sergio Gomez in the position of last defender near the surface of Manchester City (28th).

Following the intervention of the VAR, the Spaniards were definitively expelled for his gesture (30th). Riyad Mahrez then gave way to Ruben Diaz (32nd) and the match then fell to a false pace until half time. In the second half a fine shot from distance by Kevin De Bruyne that is deflected by Grabara, thanks to a class save by the Polish goalkeeper (51st). Unlike the first period, this second act was much quieter and neither team managed to show themselves in the truth zone. At the end of the match, João Cancelo then İlkay Gündoğan fired two powerful shots towards the Danish goal but Grabara proved intractable and intervened every time (84 ° and 90 ° +2). Despite this draw, Manchester City consolidate their first place in Group G as Copenhagen return to Sevilla ahead of the confrontation between the Andalusians and Borussia Dortmund at 21:00.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *