The use of public services for private temporary work may have been liberalized in 2009, “it’s not a big market,” notes Aline Crépin, director of social innovations and public affairs within the Randstad group. However, the Dutch giant (€ 24.6 billion in turnover in 2021) is undoubtedly the temporary employment company best identified by the communities. One “of the few to have a dedicated team” for this clientele. And the only one to produce, since 2009, an HR barometer of local authorities, the 13th edition of which, created in collaboration with “La Gazette”, was published in our columns the week of 19 September 2022.
Not yet in morals
From this latest barometer it emerges that in the last twenty-four months 32% of local authorities have made use of temporary employment agencies, of which 4% very often. A figure that has not changed significantly over the years. Thirteen years after the promulgation of the law on mobility in the public service (n. 2009-972), “temporary work has not yet become part of the customs of the communities”, observes Aline Crépin. For their temporary needs, they largely prefer to sign fixed-term contracts (95%) and turn to non-permanent non-holders (76%), again according to the Randstad barometer.
A situation that Aline Crépin explains as follows: “Many communities do not know they can resort to private temporary work and they turn first to their CDG when they need a replacement. It does not mention the cost of interim, which hospitals know to be high.
It is true that the 2009 law did not fully liberalize the use of temporary private work. This is certainly no longer reserved for situations of extreme urgency, but is only authorized in certain specific situations. And it is only when their CDG cannot respond to their request that local authorities can turn to a temporary employment company. CDGs remain the main providers of temporary employment. Of the 8,500 registered at the end of 2017 in the social reports of local authorities (last and only count), 68% was made available by CDG and 32% by temporary employment agencies.
For Nathalie Le Bescond, head of CDG Finistère’s “interim” service, the two are “complementary”: the interim provides for substitutions when her CDG cannot do so (see below). An unforeseen event can also lead a community to resort to private temporary work. The Calvados department had to decide to do so at the end of 2020 to continue carrying out its mission after a sudden increase in the number of children to be placed in reception centers (read below).
Finally, Aline Crépin notes that Randstad’s business evolves with increasing demands from local authorities as regulations change. “In the extra-curricular, after the transition to the four-day week, and in public inter-municipal cooperation exercises that ensure the collection of managed waste, which may need reinforcements”, she testifies.
Most often, the agents are replaced in case of illness
Every month around 160 temporary workers are made available to CDG Finistère’s local authorities (426 local authorities, 11,186 monitored agents) through its “temporary” service. Half is made up of administrative staff (receptionists, technical service directors, urban planning staff) and 43% is made up of technical staff (polyvalent technical staff, maintenance staff). In most cases it is a matter of replacing sick leave (70%), annual leave, maternity leave, training, etc. Rarely due to increased activity. The CDG satisfies 80% of the requests sent to it. For the remaining 20%, “some communities are looking for temporary employment agencies”, explains Nathalie Le Bescond, head of the “temporary” service.
A delegation agreement for the reception of many children in foster care
Christine Resch-Domenech, Calvados “solidarity” DGA (3,000 agents, 691,700 inhabitants)
The Calvados department takes care of approximately 2,600 children placed by the judge. Since 2020, the deterioration of intra-family relations during confinement and the influx of young migrants have led to an increase in requests. “At the end of 2020, elected officials decided to create 40 additional places in the plants, says Christine Resch-Domenech, DGA“ solidarity ”. We turned to our usual partners, the associations, which could not set up a Boys. Another difficulty: the socio-medical sector is struggling to hire. As for the business center, this too was not “equipped” to meet demand. It was therefore decided to delegate this MECS to the Domino Assist’M ASE association, an offshoot of the interim company Domino RH. The agreement is valid until March 2023.
“This plant is inspected like any other – but not by my management – and the daily rate is the same as for another MECS, but adjusted as the load increases,” the DGA specifies. As the need remained after the deal with Domino ended, the department launched a call for projects.
Contact: Christine Resch-Domenech, 31.02.57.11.21.