What should I do in case of health problems during my holidays abroad?

When traveling abroad, no one is immune from illness or accident. Depending on the situation, you should then call your local emergency services, see a doctor or go to a hospital. And this without forgetting to inform your relatives as well as your assistance company or the organization responsible for your health insurance. First, if you need medical treatment where you are, you should contact the embassy (or consulate) to get the list of local doctors consulted by French citizens. It should be noted that in the event of a business trip or business trip abroad, the Ariane portal allows you to register free of charge and easily with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The objective: to be able to receive alerts, safety instructions and information in the event of a crisis in the country of destination (natural event, epidemics, etc.). Good news for the rest: as a European citizen, if you fall ill while temporarily staying in another EU country, you can get treatment that can’t wait until you return to France.

A citizen enjoys the same rights in terms of health care as insured persons in the country concerned. On one condition, however, that of always carrying one’s own European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which constitutes proof that the person is insured in a country of the European Union. If the service is paid for, it is advisable to pay the costs upfront and then request reimbursement: on site, from the health insurance body in the country of stay or upon return to France. Furthermore, for people who have had to pay locally because they do not have the TEAM card, to advance medical expenses and who have not requested reimbursement locally, or who have turned to a private doctor, the Health Insurance recommends “ Remember to keep all paid invoices and proof of payment. For each of these situations, you may be reimbursed upon your return to France. All you have to do is make the request on your ameli account under “My procedures” then click on “Reimbursement of treatments abroad. »

How can I be reimbursed for my medical expenses?

It is best to anticipate as much as possible and order the European health card at least 15 days before departure from your health insurance company. This is individual and nominative: each member of the same household must have their own, including children under 16, knowing that it is not necessary to provide any documents at the time of application. Cards issued from 1 July 2014 are valid for a maximum of two years, but the period of validity of the EHIC does not in any case exceed the duration of the insured person’s rights to health insurance. In practice, the request can be made via the Internet (under My steps), by telephone (dial 36 46) and on the spot at one of the reception points of your health insurance company. If departure is imminent, within 15 days, the health insurance company is authorized to issue a provisional replacement certificate, valid for 3 months. According to health insurance, it certifies your rights to health insurance and you can use it under the same conditions as the TEAM. »

Also to discover: Practical health: what is third-party payment and how to benefit from it?

If the person does not have an Ameli account, they are invited to send the supporting documents accompanied by the “Care received abroad” form to their own health insurance company. Documents supporting a claim include, for example, itemized care bills, proof of payment (credit card receipt), and medical prescriptions. “ Be careful, health systems vary a lot from one European country to another. Some services may be free in France, but paid for in other countries. Before leaving, find out about the health system of the country you are going to. “, The government recommends on his part. Furthermore, only unforeseen and medically necessary treatments (consultation of a doctor or emergency hospitalization, etc.) are covered, i.e. treatments which avoid having to return to France for treatment and allow you to end your stay in safe medicines. Note, however, that the European health card does not cover rescue and repatriation services in France.

If I go to a country outside the EU, I take stock beforehand

Please note that an accident victim requiring emergency intervention in an EU country must dial 112, bearing in mind that Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are assimilated to EU member countries with regard to these coordination rules of social security systems. So if medical organizations have to treat citizens of other European countries under the same conditions and at the same price, what about non-EU countries? The on-site payment of medical expenses will also be fundamental, whether they are for hospital treatment or not, in the public or private sector. Back in France, the procedure remains the same: present proof of expenses to request reimbursement from the Health Insurance, always on the condition that the treatment is unforeseen and unpredictable, and with reimbursement within the limits of the rates set by the Social Security. However, in some countries, medical expenses, especially hospital expenses, are expensive, which is why health insurance recommends taking out a care or insurance contract.

Fortunately, the portion of expenses not reimbursed by health insurance can be covered by your supplementary health insurance under the conditions set out in the contract stipulated, hence the importance of remembering to check with your organization before departure. the guarantees in the contract apply to treatment provided outside the EU. It is also strongly recommended to take stock of the level of coverage offered by your payment card before departure, and to check who can benefit from the guarantees. However, there is an exception if you are on holiday in your country of origin, as certain arrangements under conventions (or social security agreements) concluded between France and the country of stay may provide for medical treatment on the spot. . The information is carried out with his health insurance company, which will indicate whether or not a person falls within the scope of these provisions and, if any, the formalities to be completed before leaving on vacation to benefit from them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *