Corsica, the most wooded region of France, which however fails to develop its timber sector

Corsica, the most wooded region of France, which however fails to develop its timber sector

With 580,000 hectares of forest, Corsica is the most forested region in France according to a report by the National Institute for Geographical and Forestry Information. Problem, in the island, the wood industry does not develop due to lack, in particular, of valorisation.

66% of Corsica is covered by forest. A figure which is equivalent to 580,000 hectares and which makes the island, according to a report by the National Institute for Geographical and Forestry Information (IGN) published on November 18, the most wooded region in France.

Good news ? According to professionals and executives of public bodies or industry collectives, not necessarily. Because if the forest is essential for the conservation of biodiversity, the storage of water or the retention of water and soil, its constant growth also marks the abandonment of land inland. The forest developed on land initially intended for agriculture. And it will continue to grow for years to come. “, Dominique points out Santellispokesman of God collective “For has fusta Course”.

Especially since the wood industry is unable to structure itself and develop. Thus, if the island occupies the first place of the most forested regions, it is also the region with the least volume of timber, 44 million meters cubes.

Because Corsica suffers from a lack of development in the wood sector. It is a poorly organized and productive sector to consume the wood that is produced on the islandPeter explains VelvetyDirector of the National Forestry Office (NFB) in Corsica which manages 150,000 hectares of public forest. The economy is weak, the sawmills once present in large numbers in the area have closed, currently there are four of medium capacity. As for the timber, the production tools are not suitable, work with professionals is to be done for lower quality wood. There is a lot to build “.

For the spokesman of collective “For has fusta Corsa” one of the possible solutions lies in the production of better quality timber in state-owned forests. In these areas, the support is 70% lower quality wood. Grading works by letter from A for very good quality to E for bad qualitywe offer D quality wood. This corresponds to the energy of wood, an underdeveloped sector in Corsica. Conversely, the remaining 30% of wood can be used. We hope to see the trend reversed thanks to silviculture, in particular by cutting down bad woods and raising the quality of the woods. A difficult option for the director of the NFB to implement. It is decapitalization and it is not a choice we support “, he says.

In the island, 86% of the forests are private and used for wood tree trunk. They are those who, according to the data ofINGF grow faster. And their owners also face a number of problems, starting with co-ownership. This is the main factregrets Daniel FirefliesPresident of the Regional Forest Heritage Council (CRP extension) from Corsica. But we can overcome these things. They have been overtaken on the coast, because there were economic interests, it is therefore necessary to promote the economic interest of the timber sector. »

He assures us, forest owners “ he didn’t give up », « the will is there “. However, “ we depend on project promoters and the community and there is neither a market nor a public regional planning policy “. In addition to chopping wood, the president of the CRP extension of Corsica, hopes to see its development an added bonus in private woods. Private owners are working with ranchers to open up their forest to herds so animals can find there what they no longer find elsewhere. And then we must not forget that our woods are also used for tourism, in particular through the discovery of nature. “, he argues.

If public and private forests are not in opposition, the implementation of sustainable solutions seems essential for the sustainability of the sector. Solutions that could be found during the Assises de la forêt which should be held in early 2023.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *