Presentation of the device
The “European Capital of Culture” system, born in 1985, aims to make Europe’s cultural wealth known throughout the continent. This mechanism makes it possible to designate, for a period of one year, a host city responsible for organizing a program of cultural events.
Decision no. 445/2014/EU of the Parliament and of the Council of 16 April 2014 establishes the Union action in favor of the European Capitals of Culture for the period 2020-2033.
The expected benefits are:
- strengthen the international influence of the selected cities
- enhancement of the image of the city among the citizens
- strengthen the capacities and visibility of their cultural sector
- promote awareness of and access to culture,
- stimulus of cultural tourism
Am I affected by this process?
Any city located on French territory can be a candidate for the title of “European Capital of Culture 2028”. The title is open to cities, which can associate their surrounding area with it.
Applicant cities must promote, through their application, their cultural dynamism and heritage by organizing exhibitions, festivals and other events. The program proposed by each candidate city must have a strong European dimension which must be reflected in the selected themes and involve the participation of artists and cultural operators from different countries. Cities also need to ensure the long-term effects of planning on their cultural and social development.
On 31 December 2021, the decree and the competition announcement were published in the Official Gazette of the French Republic (JORF), specifying the organizational methods and the procedure for designating the future French city European Capital of Culture in 2028.
The selection of the city that will be the European Capital of Culture takes place in two phases.
The application dossiers, collected by the Ministry of Culture, will be submitted to an independent European pre-selection jury composed of 10 experts nominated by the institutions and bodies of the European Union following an open call for expressions of interest and 2 experts nominated by the Ministry of Culture.
The ranking of the cities selected to participate in the final selection is decided by the Minister responsible for Culture, in accordance with the report of the selection jury, which will be made public on the website of the Ministry responsible for Culture.
- Publication of the decree and the call for tenders and opening of the call: December 2021
- Technical information meeting on the pre-selection and selection process of candidate cities, organized by the Ministry of Culture in Paris: 06 October 2022.
- Deadline for submitting applications: January 2, 2023, 5pm (Paris time). No file can be submitted or considered after this date.
- Pre-selection: week of 27 February 2023. The list of candidate cities selected to participate in the final selection is decided by the Minister of Culture in accordance with the report of the independent European jury.
- Selection of the city, future European Capital of Culture: December 2023
- Download the application form below.
- Once completed, send your application file electronically (in PDF format) AND by post, in French and in English:
- by email email@example.com
- And in twelve paper copies drawn up in English and another two copies in French, sent by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt (as evidenced by the postmark), to:
Ministry of Culture (General Secretariat)
European Capital of Culture 2028
182 rue Saint-Honore,
75001 Paris Cedex 01
…or deposited at the same address upon receipt.
A question ?
If you have any questions about the system, interested cities are invited to contact:
Information on the European Capital of Culture initiative is available on the official website of the European Union.