How to make homemade dry shampoo? 5 simple recipes
Making your own dry shampoo is a simple and easy way to keep your hair feeling refreshed when you don’t have the time or inclination to wash it regularly. It’s also a more natural and affordable alternative to store-bought brands. Here are 5 simple recipes to make your own homemade dry shampoo. These recipes are all effective and use natural ingredients found in most pantries.
Recipe n°1: dry shampoo with cornstarch and arrowroot
Here is an easy recipe for natural dry shampoo that you can make with ingredients that may already be in your kitchen. All it takes is cornstarch and arrowroot.
- to start with combine equal portions of cornstarch and arrowroot in a shallow bowl.
- Using a makeup brush or other similar tool, apply the powder to the roots of the hair. Make sure you penetrate it well by making circular movements.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes before brushing or combing them thoroughly.
- You can too use a hair dryer to help distribute the powder more evenly through the hair.
This dry shampoo is supposed to help absorb excess oil from your hair and give it more volume and texture without having to use traditional shampoo and conditioner.
Recipe n°2: dry shampoo with baking soda and cocoa powder
This is a simple homemade dry shampoo recipe that calls for two ingredients: baking soda and cocoa powder.
- to start with mix equal parts baking soda and cocoa powder in a bowl until completely combined. The mixture should have the consistency of flour.
- Once the mixture is ready, separate hair into sections and sprinkle it on each section. Start from the roots to the ends of the hair.
- Gently massage the scalp with the mixture.
- Leave to rest for 5-10 minutes before brushing the hair with a natural bristle brush or comb.
Your hair will now look like it was freshly washed without having to use water! This homemade dry shampoo can also help remove excess oil from your scalp and give you more volume!
Recipe 3: Bentonite Clay and Arrowroot Shampoo
For this recipe, all you need is arrowroot and bentonite clay. You can easily find it in health or natural products stores.
- To make this dry shampoo, start with mix equal parts arrowroot clay and bentonite clay In a bowl.
- Then add enough water to obtain a pasty consistency.
- Once you get the right consistency, use your fingers to massage the scalp with circular movements for about five minutes.
- Leave for 10 minutes extra before rinsing with warm water.
After using this dry shampoo recipe, you can expect your hair to feel soft and shiny. They will also be effectively cleared of excess oil and accumulated dirt.
Recipe n°4: shampoo with oatmeal and cocoa powder
The combination of oatmeal and cocoa powder helps to naturally absorb excess sebum in the scalp.
- To make this dry shampoo, cstart by grinding 1/4 cup of oats in a food processor or blender until finely ground.
- Then add 1/4 cup cocoa powder oatmeal and stir until evenly combined.
- In the end, spread the mixture on the scalp and massage your roots.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes before brushing it.
Your hair will be clean and refreshed, without any greasy residue!
Recipe n°5: dry shampoo with corn starch and kaolin
This homemade dry shampoo recipe uses fcorn starch and kaolin to help absorb excess oil, dirt and sweat from the scalp.
- To prepare this dry shampoo, first combine two tbsp of cornstarch and a tablespoon of kaolin in a bowl.
- Mix these ingredients until they are completely combined.
- Then take a small amount of the mixture and rub it into your scalp making small circular movements.
- Leave to rest for a few minutes before brushing or combing excess product to remove residue.
You should see an immediate difference in the texture and look of your hair! For best results, use this recipe once every other day. Your hair will look clean and refreshed between washes.
Some additional tips
Know that you can add a colored powder to your mixture that is suitable for the color of your hair. Practical and effective, these homemade recipes can be used on various hair colors.
- Of the cocoa powder for brown hair
- Of coal for black hair
- Of the cinnamon for red hair
- Of the iris powder for blonde and light brown hair
More, feel free to add a few drops of essential oils to your blend. Besides leaving a sweet scent on your hair, these have various properties for your hair.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: perfect for purifying the scalp and eliminating dandruff
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: strengthens and gives shine to your hair
- Rosewood essential oil: use it to increase the volume of your hair
- Rose geranium essential oil: effectively stimulates the scalp
Bottom line, making your own dry shampoo at home is an easy and inexpensive way to keep your hair looking great. With these 5 dry shampoo recipes to choose from, you can find the one that best suits your hair type and needs. Whether you’re looking for a more natural approach or just want to space out shampoos but also save time in your morning routine, these recipes are a great place to start !
In your care routine, if you also want to use ready-made dry shampoos avoiding harmful and chemical products, we present you 10 natural dry shampoos for flawless hair and more tips and tricks! And know that in addition to your natural and 100% do-it-yourself dry shampoo, you can also make your own homemade shampoo bar.